Monday, October 31, 2011

My Halloween "Costume"

Before I get to the nails, I'd just like to direct you to a lovely little nail blog that only has 17 followers and deserves way more, Polished Love. She does really great swatches and a lot of cute nail art, so check it out!

Today's nail art is not for the faint of heart, but not because it's particularly hard to do...let's just say it's not as cute as my Frankensteins. The fact that I had neither time nor money to come up with a Halloween costume this year meant that I was going the simplest route possible. Therefore, I decided that my costume would be a vampire in disguise. I'd wear my normal clothes and act normally in every way - but if you happened to notice my hands...

natural light

Bwahahahahaaaa! I actually decided to make this my "costume" after I decided to do the nail art in the first place. I originally did a very similar design last July for a vampire nail art costume, but this time, I wanted it to be a bit gorier and bloodier. I really like all the dripping blood manicures people have done, but personally, I wanted something that looked a little more realistic, as creepy as that might be. Don't judge me - I swear I'm not actually a serial killer! ;) For the base, I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Wet Cement, and because I somehow didn't bring a single dark red creme with me to college, I mixed Sally Hansen CSM All Fired Up and Barielle Coco Bar for the red. I applied the "blood" with a toothpick, and while I'd normally advise using a dotting tool or a brush instead of a toothpick if you can, this is one nail art I actually think works better with a toothpick. If you use a dotting tool or brush, I don't think it looks quite as realistic, though perhaps if I were an actual artist I would be able to get the same effect with a brush.

I've been wearing this in public for the last several days, and I actually haven't gotten any "are-you-clinically-insane" comments yet, though I have gotten several positive remarks. Do you think you'd be willing to wear this out in public, or is a little much for you? Also, would you be interested in seeing a tutorial?

No comments:

Post a Comment