Saturday, April 2, 2011

Franken: Grecian Glimmer

This April, Jasmine of Colour Coated is spearheading an effort by nail bloggers to bring attention to Autism Awareness Month. Since the "official" color of autism awareness is blue, nail bloggers involved will be wearing blue nail polish at least once this month - I'm going to attempt to do so at least once a week, so you'll be seeing a fair few blues around here. Here's a snippet from the email she sent me:

"In case you were unaware, April is Autism Awareness month, and April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day. Everyone is encouraged to wear blue in order to raise awareness, encourage early diagnosis and early intervention and to celebrate the lives of those that we care about who have autism." I've decided to do what I did with Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Depression Awareness Month in October, and post a fact about autism with each blue polish I post. So here's the fact for today:

"Autism is not a specific disease, but rather a collection of disorders of brain development called “autism spectrum disorders,” or ASDs." -American Academy of Pediatrics

A friend of Jasmine's who has two autistic children is raising money for an autism awareness walk that she will be participating in later on this year. If you would like to donate to the cause, you can do so here: http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/kansascity/morgansmile

And here is my first blue of the month (unless you count Zoya Robyn from yesterday's Zoya spam post, which I don't) - it's a franken I made...oh...sometime this past week. I was going for a green with orange shimmer, but the yellow polish I used somehow managed to not turn Revlon Royal into a green, so instead I have a dark blue with orange shimmer and a sparse few flakies, though you can't see any in these pictures. I used two coats without top coat here (the picture above is a bottle shot).

 indoors, artificial light
indoors, artificial light

The polish is a bit sparklier in real life, and the sparkle is more obviously orange, but other than that the pictures are accurate. So why did I name this franken Grecian Glimmer? Well, after I was done making it, I realized that it reminded me of Steph's idea for an RBL polish that, stupidly, got rejected. It's definitely not a dupe to the franken Ange made, though...in my mind, it's more of a cousin. Anyway, Steph's inspiration was the Roman Pool at the Hearst Castle, which is where the name came from - Roman/Grecian, and the polish glimmers. Plus, it's alliterative, which is always nice. Oh! And to think I almost forgot to mention my ingredients - I used Revlon Royal, Sally Hansen Lightening, Nicole by OPI Yellow It's Me, BB Couture Pina Colada, and Sally Hansen Hidden Treasure. I actually used the end of my bottle of Hidden Treasure, so I'll have to get my hands on a bottle of  Nubar 2010 soon. When I do, I'll probably add some to Grecian Glimmer, because I'd really like it to have more flakies.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful color!!! It definitely is reminiscent of my RBL inspiration. I really think more polishes needs to have the cool colors with warm glitter/shimmer combination it looks so so rich! Great franken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I totally agree that more colors need to have that cool/warm combination; it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely deep and rich franken created and worn for an EXCELLENT cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zara, this is such a gorgeous color! You've got some awesome frankening skills. I love it so much. Such an awesome way to support the cause. Thank you for joining in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! *blushes* I think this one was more of a lucky accident considering that I was aiming for a green. ;)

    ReplyDelete