Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dr.'s Remedy Fall Fever Swatches & Review


Hello again! Two posts in a day, woohoo! I'm on a roll, what can I say? :) Actually, I usually try not to post two substantive posts in one day because I feel like it's a little bit much (not to mention that I really don't have the time), but since I'm doing the 31 day challenge this month, there's no way I could avoid it. Like I mentioned in my last post, I got the Dr.'s Remedy Fall Fever to review today, and I got to swatching right away. Unfortunately, I was in a race against the sun, so my pictures aren't quite as good as usual. I also have a hangnail on my middle finger that I retouched because I don't want to look at it, and I don't want you to have to look at it either. I promise that's the one thing I retouched, though (and I'll always tell you when I do retouch something). The above photo is a collage of the three polishes, with the bottle shot from the press release thrown in for good measure.

 natural light

First, we have DEFENSE Deep Red, which Dr.'s Remedy describes as "a rich bordeaux with a mystifying matte finish." To be honest, I expected this to be my least favorite polish in the collection. However, it turned out to be my favorite! I'm not a huge fan of most vampy reds, and this is the first one I've really fallen in love with. It's a gorgeous burgundy-red jelly that almost glows in the sunlight and only takes two coats - it does look a bit sheer in my picture, but it didn't in real life. I used two coats without top coat, and while it says it's matte, my base coat (Essie Protein Basecoat) tends to make semi-matte polishes glossy for some reason. It probably would be a little more matte on its own, but it didn't look like it'd be completely matte when I swatched it on an index card. I actually think it's prettier glossy anyway, because it allows the polish to show off its jelliness.

natural light

Next, we have BALANCE Brick, a "modern maroon with body and balance." I honestly am not sure what the "body and balance" part of that description is supposed to mean - I'd describe the shade as a delightfully juicy raspberry-maroon jelly. (And now I'm hungry for raspberries.) BALANCE Brick also took two coats for opacity. I'm not sure if it's a unique color or not, but I don't have anything exactly like it in my collection. 

natural light

Finally, there's NOBLE Navy, "a sea-at-dusk shade that reflects light and brings dimension to tips and toes alike." Unlike the other two polishes in this collection, NOBLE Navy is not a jelly, but a creme. But guess how many coats it took? One. That's right - one. It's vampier than DEFENSE Deep Red, but I can still tell it's blue in dimmish light, though it does look black once the lighting gets very dim. One thing I like about this shade as opposed to other deep blues is that it's slightly dusty, which I quite like. It kind of reminds me of a darker version of China Glaze First Mate.

I'm not a fan of dancing around the point, so I'll just say it straight out: I didn't think I'd be a huuuuge fan of this collection. I thought I'd like it well enough, but I didn't think I'd fall head over heels in love. However, with two gorgeous, two-coat-and-done jellies and one rich, one-coater blue, I'm definitely smitten. If you're smitten, too, you can get any of these shades for $17 at www.remedynails.com.

Also, if you're interested, you can like Dr.'s Remedy on Facebook and follow them on Twitter. Just click the words "Facebook" and "Twitter!"

These polishes were sent to me by the company for review. However, I will always review products honestly. For more information, see my disclosure policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment