Thursday, October 7, 2010

OPI Glow Up Already!

41% of depressed women are too embarrassed to seek help. (Mental Health America)

This statistic, sadly, does not surprise me that much. Depression is so stigmatized in today's culture that not only do people often feel that their depression is a personal weakness, they are therefore often too embarrassed to address the problem. If you do know anyone who is depressed, or who you suspect may be depressed, talk to them - encourage them to get help, and show them that they have no reason to be embarrassed. If you are depressed, do seek help, and know that you should not be ashamed of yourself or your depression in any way, shape, or form. 

Today's National Depression Awareness Month green is OPI Glow Up Already! (I hate the exclamation point, by the way), a gorgeous glitter that is mostly green and gold, but has other colors in it as well. Just so you're forewarned, this will be a bit of a picspam compared to my usual posts...I just could not stop taking pictures of this beauty! I love glitters, and this is no exception. First, an intentionally blurry bottle shot so you can see all the gorgeous colors:

indoors, artificial light
indoors, artificial light
 outside, shade
outside, shade
 outside, sunlight
outside, sunlight

Even though the polish looks quite a bit different in the different lightings, they're all actually pretty accurate - in bright light, the polish looks more green, while in dimmer light or shade, it looks more gold. I'm not quite sure why that is...maybe the gold just "glows" more? I wore three coats of this to get full opacity, and added two coats of Rush top coat. It's still kind of rough, but that doesn't bother me at all - however, if you have to have your polishes smooth, I wouldn't recommend any of the Burlesque glitters. While I haven't removed this yet, I'm quite sure it removal will be quite the pain. I will probably try the foil method, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Question: Do you want me to alternate between the Burlesque glitters and pinks/greens, or just post the glitters until I've worn them all? I'm thinking I'll just wear the glitters for the next several days, but I'm by no means sure, and I'd like to hear your opinion(s). Have a great Thursday!

9 comments:

  1. Bring on the glitters! This one is fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love glitter, so that would be my vote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cali369 and KarenD- Alrighty then, glitters it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh Zara - that is a pretty polish! I'm not usually a huge fan of glitters (love the shimmers) but that looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh this is pretty! I don't think I'll get it, because I'm disappointed that it's not like..a true true green, ya know?
    But it's still lovely.

    And about the topcoat, if you have something thicker, like Seche Vite or Poshe, you'll probably be able to get it smooth. I notice that Rush doesn't do much by way of smoothing glittah. I don't know why...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see Simmer Simmer so bring on the glitters hehe. btw it's a pretty color, it looks a bit gold. -Prisca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzume- Thanks! Not a fan of glitters? I'll fix you of that! :) I'm glad you like this one, though.

    ChaosButterfly- Thanks! I do know what you mean about it not being a true true green...I would love for OPI to make a glitter that was just a bunch of different greens mixed together. That would be awesome. :) And you're probably right that a thicker top coat would smooth it better - I have a tiny tiny bit of SH Insta-Dri left that would probably be good, but I'm not even sure I have enough for one nail. :)

    Honey&Prisca- Since you mentioned it, I'll do Simmer & Shimmer next! And yes, it does lean gold - sometimes I'm actually not sure if there's more green or gold glitter in there.

    ReplyDelete